Sunday, April 13, 2014

Struggle

For 19 of the 22 months kiddo nursed I did not consume dairy.  While I missed cheese and ice cream the most, having a baby not in distress from tummy pains outweighed the yummy goodness.  After she weaned I ate cheese and ice cream again but not as much as I did prior to figuring out her allergy.  It's just easier to cook a meal that we can all enjoy than to continually make different meals for her.  While pregnant with little guy I didn't have too many cravings and often wasn't hungry.  My cravings with kiddo had me eating a lot of ice cream, cheese, and cold cereal with milk.  Since little guy was born right before flu season we stayed home a lot during the winter and also didn't go out too often for walks due to the cold and snow.  When little guy was three weeks old I once again cut all dairy out of my diet. 

All of this brought me to being very a very unwell person.  I was calcium and vitamin D deficient.  Having low calcium is not very much fun as I experience numbness in my face and hands.  I don't know if it was the lack of calcium or vitamin D but I also started to experience depression.  I was very moody and yelled at kiddo a lot.  Most of the noises she made irritated me greatly and I didn't want to be around her much.  Hubby also took a bunch of crap from me.  Anything and everything made me cry.  

Since increasing my calcium and starting a vitamin D program I've felt so much better.  We've also been enjoying the nice spring weather to make sure we all get lots of natural vitamin D.  Kiddo is much happier too as she gets to explore on the walks we go on and blow and chase bubbles.  Little guy loves to just take it all in as he learns about the world around him. 

While I'm not proud of the struggle I went through, especially the discomfort I caused my family, I am glad I'm on the path on getting healthier.  I now know what to watch for so I don't sink as far down as I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment